Sunday, January 13, 2013

Farewell, Weekend

Why does the weekend go so quickly?  I hope yours has been enjoyable.

My Sunday began with an invitation to breakfast at City O'City, a place I've been meaning to check out.  Nearly everything on the menu is available vegan and / or gluten free.  I had the "Omelette" which was actually a tofu scramble.  The waitress recommended the version with seitan sausage, peppers, and cashew ricotta for cheese.  I added potatoes to round out the meal.  So much, I didn't finish it.
A few hours later, I made some collard greens with red pepper flakes and garlic.
A few hours after the collards, a little celery and pb.
I cooked a bit this afternoon, including a Potato-Leek-Cauliflower soup.  One large potato, one leek, half a head of cauliflower, two cloves of garlic, white onion, and sea salt.  I poured just enough low-sodium vegetable broth to simmer the veggies.
Into the blender with just enough almond milk to make everything smooth.
I had a bowl for dinner, and it's pretty tasty.  
Here we go  - another work week! Hopefully I'll be better prepared and post more than once during the week. ;)


12 comments:

  1. Wow, what a great food day! That breakfast looks phenomenal! The potatoes look seriously perfect. I'm a little jealous I have to say ;) The collards look great and pb with celery is such a great snack! It's one of the few ways I like raw celery. The soup looks thick and delicious and your blender!!! JEEEEEEEEALOOOOOOOUS! ;)

    Hope you have a great week at work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The potatoes were definitely my favorite, I was little disappointed my stomach stopped me from finishing! Ha!

      I thought it was time to debut the blender. ;) It's absolutely amazing. It took maybe 30 seconds, probably less, to get everything that smooth. Between my blender and your juicer - we have an ideal kitchen!

      Delete
  2. Yum, the soup sounds delicious. I ought to eat more cauliflower. Also cook more. Ha.
    A scramble with seitan and cashew ricotta sounds so incredible. Definitely a great weekend breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cauliflower really does take everything to a new level. I could eat it all the time, year round.

      The cashew ricotta was really good! A little too chewy on the seitan, but still great.

      Delete
  3. I have brunch envy. A whole vegan menu? Don't mind if I do. Was it as good as it looked?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was pretty good! I would prefer the spinach and mushroom version a little more - just because I love those more than seitan sausage - so now I have to go back! :)

      Delete
  4. That breakfast sounds so fantastic and how awesome that their menu is so vegan friendly. Gotta love restaurants like that!

    The soup you made sounds really tasty, as well. You must have a lot of leftovers to start your work week off. I love that! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We only have a handful of establishments that are so heavily vegan friendly, and I shouldn't have waited so long to try them!

      Absolutely! I need to be prepared, otherwise I end up at Whole Foods and spend too much money at the salad bar!

      Delete
  5. What a great breakfast. So lucky.

    The weekend goes by so fast, I sometimes wonder why we even bother to have a weekend at all?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a great way to start a Sunday. I look forward to trying out a few more items on their menu! City O'City is a sister store to WaterCourse Foods.

      Delete
  6. A great day of eats, but that soup looks especially impressive. I've been thinking about making potato leek soup recently, and the idea of adding cauliflower is brilliant (I love cauliflower).

    Sorry I've been MIA for a while. I am gearing up to blog again. And we must talk about Downton Abbey! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! So glad to hear from you, I've tried to access your site but I see that it's under construction at Tumblr. I look forward to seeing what's in store. :)

      Yes, please! Downton Abbey gossip is the best!

      Delete