Friday, December 14, 2012

Today

Today began with a blueberry waffle with brown rice syrup and a cup of coffee.

I was obviously a little distracted by all of what happened today, and didn't really think through my midday meals.   I ate the cheezy kale chips I prepared, . . .
A little later, I picked up a small Kate's Kiss from Parsley.
Today was also my dad's birthday -a super great day for him because he also attended a funeral earlier in the day - and we put on a smile to celebrate him.  They ordered in pizza, and I brought an Amy's Roasted Vegetable Vegan Pizza
In closing, I will say this: as an educator, we strive to make the classroom a safe environment physically, emotionally, and intellectually.  When assholes take lives in such a precious environment, they rip apart any sense of security, and make people such as myself create a mental map of the classroom as to where we would hide in the event that it happened at my school.  I'm angry, and broken-hearted over this event.

6 comments:

  1. Looks like a great pizza & happy birthday to your dad!

    Mike and I are also very angry and broken hearted over this. I just don't understand humanity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Molly, thanks for your well wishes to my dad!

      It's so hard for me to comprehend some people and their motivations.

      Delete
  2. Great looking food day at least.

    The events of yesterday are so disturbing. I go from trying to distract myself and ignore it to trying to understand/make some sense of it. So far, unsuccessful in both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shen, thank you.

      I'm unsuccessful as well. Time is the only healer, as we'll never fully understand it.

      Delete
  3. Great food and beautiful waffle pic. Happy birthday to your dad, I hope he was able to enjoy his day all things considered.

    I still have no words for what happened yesterday. It is absolutely disgusting and heinous and heartbreaking. I'm going to hug Delilah a bit tighter the next time I see her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarah, thank you - he's pretty low key when it comes to his birthday, so hopefully he didn't mind a quiet celebration. I do love blueberry waffles.

      Yes, please give her an extra squeeze for me, too.

      Delete