Sunday, December 2, 2012

Semi-Homemade

I've been meaning to track down the Vegan Van for Sunday Brunch for a while.  Today, I finally made it happen - after a fifteen minute wait, I knew good things would happen.
Not the best photo, but I ordered the top item - Crossandwich - which was on a vegan croissant, "fu scram" (tofu scramble), vegan "ham" (St Yves, I think) and chia cheeze sauce for $7.  I considered adding tots for $2, but was headed directly to a two mile dog walk with a friend afterwards, and didn't want to feel overstuffed.

Definitely a good call on not getting the tots, as this was one stuffed croissant.  It was so good, but I'd get it without the "ham" next time - as it was a little too realistic.  

After the long walk, I set to work in the kitchen (as I promised myself I'd actually be cooking this weekend) making Cinnamon Pumpkin Muffins
and a small batch of cheezy kale chips.

I ate kale chips and had two muffins throughout the afternoon.

Dinner consisted of five brussel sprouts and two baby red potatoes, chopped,  and tossed in a mixture of olive oil, balsamic vinegar, sea salt, and black pepper.  Roasted and delicious.
Even though my vacation starts tomorrow,  I'll go in for five or six hours to grade papers and organize for our return in January.  I'd rather bust it all out in one day, than have it hanging over my head for five weeks!  

I hope you've had a great weekend! 

11 comments:

  1. Such a good call to just have one work day in the beginning of your vacation so you don't have to worry about it at all during your break.

    Holy crap! Brunch was such a great call and that sandwich looks so delicious! I'd probably go sans ham too but that scramble looks delicious and a vegan croissant?! Yes please! I know what you mean about not wanting to be overstuffed for a walk too.

    Nice job in the kitchen today, those muffins sound great! Yummy dinner too! Love roasted veggies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel much better about moving forward with the productive work day behind me! I'll still work on lessons here and there, but that's work which will put me ahead - as opposed to catching up.

      I'm not sure when I'll seek it out again, but I'll have to ask where she buys her vegan croissants! The scramble was definitely on par with what I make at home.

      Muffins, kale, veggies in the oven - a busy day to be sure!

      Delete
  2. Wow, what a sandwich. Looks like it was worth the 15 minute wait. I am so impatient I'd never be able to hold out that long even knowing what deliciousness was waiting for me. The scramble with curry potatoes also sounds incredible.
    Beautiful dinner, so simple. Love the crisp on the sprouts! Enjoy the vacation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I noticed the eight or so people in line ahead of me also chose the same - it's popular for a reason! I did think about the curry potatoes, but knew the 'wich was my first choice.

      I love crisp veggies, too! Thank you, it hasn't yet set in and doesn't feel real.

      Delete
  3. I'm taking my hat off to that sandwich! London is clearly suffering from a lack of vegan vans! What was the chia cheeze sauce like? I've never heard of this fasciating invention - I'm intrigued.

    I also love the brussels and spuds combo - that's would be some weirdly perfect breakfast for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is certainly worthy tipping your hat! Ha! London has many other great offerings, I'm sure - especially from what I've seen on your blog! To be honest, I'm not sure - I didn't really noticed the chia cheeze. I'm guessing it was in the scramble?

      I can see how they would be good for breakfast!

      Delete
  4. I loved croissants in my pre-vegan days and would have been so thrilled to see that on the menu. Although, like you said, I'd get it without the ham. It looks incredible!

    Those muffins sound perfect. Pumpkin muffins are good anytime, IMO. Yum!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did, too - and haven't had one in at least two years. I'm going to find out which bakery she purchased it from (as I'm assuming she didn't make them - could be wrong, I suppose).

      The muffins are so good, they're in the freezer, thus allowing me not to eat them within three days. Ha!

      Delete
  5. Reading the menu, I thought fo sho you were gonna order the French Toast Stix. Looks like you totally made the right decision. I need to have that Croissant wrapped up and Fedexed to me ASAP.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I arrived knowing that it would be all about the croissant. I will send one, as long as I receive a Loving Hut Crispy Burger in return. ;)

      Delete
  6. Ha! Deal! Just might not be so Crispy upon arrival....

    ReplyDelete