Thursday, December 27, 2012

Holiday Travelogue Part Two

Christmas Day - Non-vegans had:
And some sort of breakfast casserole that involved grits (when your father is from Virginia and North Carolina, you eat grits).  My mother saved a serving of uncooked grits for me (I let them cool too long, so while they look lumpy, they were still good), and I had them alongside a tofu scramble.
A few presents exchanged, snowing outside, and snuggled near the fireplace.
Terra, my parents' Sheba Inu was exhausted after all of the present opening.
Remy with one of his new squeak animals:
Before heading back to my aunt and uncle's farm for the main holiday meal, I prepared some dry roasted cauliflower and then sauteed some kale, garlic, coleslaw mix, and spices.
There was also some green beans, corn, cranberries, and rolls on the table which I also enjoyed.  Mixed nuts and more vegan chex mix throughout the rest of the day.  It was snowy and just about zero degrees, so Remy couldn't frolick on the farm.
Instead, Remy tried to play with his dog-cousins: Cash and June, both chocolate labs.
Cash was found as a pup wandering in a field, and they got June as a pup from a neighbor. 

Wednesday: tofu scramble and wheat toast.
Napping and road trip. 

Upon arrival, I didn't feel like going anywhere and so whipped up a quick Creamy Avocado Pasta.
 
It was a lovely holiday all the way around, and I can't believe the New Year is around the corner.  And, in a little over a week, I'll be back with the freshman. *sigh*

I will now be returning to normal sized posts. Thanks for reading! :)

10 comments:

  1. I'm glad you had a lovely time! Remy is so adorable with his new toy. I wish I could get Emma & Rowan toys like that without them destroying them in minutes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Molly! Yes, I seem to be growing more tolerant of family as I get older. Ha! The chocolate labs you see aren't allowed anything other than tennis balls or ropes, so you are not alone!

      Delete
  2. What a delightful holiday. You are so lucky. Those grits look perfect. Do you know the brand?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe they were Quaker brand, 5 minute grits. Nothing fancy here. I'm not sure if you are originally from VA, but I know you eat grits. :)

      Delete
  3. Wow, what a beautiful holiday!! It looks like you did really well for meals in a town that has no large grocery store :) Everything looks so delicious!! And the pups, OMG the pups! How can you deal with that much cuteness overload at one time?! They are all so gorgeous!! Thanks so much for recapping for us, it really looks like an amazing time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really should have planned better. Oh well! The canines definitely made up for the less than amazing holiday food! I definitely loved on all of them as much as possible. I'm happy to know you enjoyed reading it! :)

      Delete
  4. I've only had grits once but they're pretty fun to eat... I really like the look of the cauliflower too. All white food to shadow the snow!
    And then some chocolate for dessert to shadow those beautiful labs... ;)
    Glad you got back home safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love grits and cauliflower, I should have added in some potatoes to make it a white food trifecta. ;)

      I love Cash and June! So sweet, and so well behaved.

      Thank you!

      Delete
  5. Awwwwww! What an insanely cute parade of dogs! And that pasta's pretty good looking too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I love all of these pups, and I was happy to have them included in the holiday. They are family, after all. :)

      Delete