Sunday, December 23, 2012

Holiday Prep

Whew! I'm about to walk out the door and head to the next square state to the east (Kansas).  I'll be seeing the farm folk and grandparents for about three days, and of course Remy will be coming along as well.  As we didn't want to bring a lot of presents, just to bring them back, I've already received my blender:
I am only bringing along small gifts for my immediate family and grandparents (Remy is getting a new toy, but I'll show you that one at a later date).
I've already been told it'll be SAD holiday food, and in a small town with one grocery store - it'll be slim pickings on everything.  Thus, I'm bringing a mini stock pile:
Cole slaw mix (I'll add mandarin oranges, whatever nut is available, and poppyseeds to make a salad), Kale, red potatoes, and this pre-bagged salad mix which happens to be vegan (minus the wonton noodles - not sure about those) and looks good:
Pears, avocados, cauliflower. 
I'm bringing what's left of my Broccoli-Cauliflower-Potato Cream Soup, and made some cheezy kale chips for the four hour drive.
Lastly, aseptic tofu (easier for travel), banana chips (for when everyone else is eating butter-laden cookies), and in a pinch back up meals.
 
I know I'll be able to read some of your blogs on my phone (g-pa and g-ma don't have internet), but I won't be posting again until the 26th.  That said, have a Merry Christmas! I adore each of you, and appreciate so much our interactions! *Big holiday hug*

11 comments:

  1. I hope you and Remy have a safe trip and a Merry Christmas! It looks like you're well prepared for the trip and I bet you can't wait to use that blender when you get back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Molly! Thank you, we did and he is exhausted - there were other dogs for him to play with, and I think he'll sleep most of tomorrow, too. Ha! I can't wait to catch up on your posts. :)

      Delete
  2. Have a safe trip and a Merry Christmas Ingrid!! That blender is so awesome, I'm jealous! Definitely looks like you packed some great food to get your through the next couple of days! It's always good to be prepared when you go somewhere lacking in groceries you are used to having at your disposal, but you did a great job!

    Have a safe trip, enjoy your family and have a very merry Christmas!! *big hugs* to you and Remy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarah! Thank you, it was good but tiring. I'm happy to be home, and with actual internet. Ha! Now I can catch up on everyone's holiday and family time. :)

      Delete
  3. Yay! You got your blender! You must've been nice this year.

    Merry Christmas to you & Remy.

    (I think a post about surviving Xmas in a small Kansas town is in order. Assuming you do survive).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Too bad it's so cold that I don't want a smoothie. Ha! I'll have to make a blendable soup, just to try it out.

      Thank you, I hope you had a great holiday! There will be an epic post or two. ;)

      Delete
  4. Merry Christmas Ingrid! I hope you're having a nice holiday in Kansas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rachel! It was lovely, I hope you're celebration was great!

      Delete
  5. Looks like a lot to haul in the car but it's best to be prepared. Hopefully Remy got some snacks as well. I am excited for you for the blender!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maud! Aaaah! My phone acted up on both your blog, and Sarah's. It was so frustrating. I'm headed over straightaway after I leave this comment. :)

      Yes, I had absolutely no idea what to make nor a menu in mind. I really should have been more prepared. I left some produce there, and brought home what they wouldn't eat. You should see their ONE grocery store. Expensive and super limited. It's difficult to live in a small town.

      Delete
  6. Happy Chrimbo! I'm just catching up on all the blogs I've been missing out on over Christmas - I'm binging on blog reading. Much healthier way to overindulge this festive season.

    What have you got lined up for that blender?

    ReplyDelete