Wednesday, December 12, 2012

12/12/12

Oat Bran with raisins and a teaspoon of brown sugar.

Holiday present shopping, resulting in lunch being picked up from Whole Foods:


I've had this cookbook for at least eight years, when I was trying to learn how to make authentic Mexican food.  I don't believe I actually cooked out it. Ha! I recently went through my cookbook collection to purge and donate, and kept this one thinking I could veganize a recipe or two.

I was really excited about using leftover ingredients from Sunday's chili and creating Picadillo (peeka-dee-yo).   Picadillo can come together many different ways, and is often used as filling for everything from taquitos to soft tacos. Ingredients: potatoes, soy crumbles, crushed tomatoes, jalapeno, onion, garlic, oregano, and cumin.
Meh.  It was okay.  I'll have to brainstorm how else to use up the jalapeno, onion, and tomatoes.

6 comments:

  1. How funny that you just went through your cookbooks because I did the same thing! I set aside some of the books that I've never used and probably never will. I'm glad you saved that book, I think it's great to be able to learn how to cook authentic Mexican food. Your picadillo looks good, too bad it tasted meh. Hopefully you'll be able to use the rest of the produce in a spectacular meal!

    Those rolls from WFs always look so fresh and delicious. I really wish I could get into kombucha. Maybe I just haven't had a good flavor yet. Yay for apples!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great minds think alike! I'm trying to streamline and minimize as best I can, considering that I live in 700 sq feet! I will try another recipe or two, and if it doesn't work out - it'll be donated as well.

      I find that this brand of Kombucha is much more mild than the others. I also drink it is tea form, although I'm sure the health benefits are not as great!

      Delete
  2. Wow, I can't see jalapenos, onions, and tomatoes making anything "meh"! Too bad; it looks great. maybe they'd be good in a tofu scramble? I enjoy personally veganizing recipes a lot, which is funny since I have so many already vegan cookbooks. It's just easier to personalize to taste. Interesting breakfast! what a throw back! Not sure I've ever actually had oat bran.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? I'm kind of thinking it's the soy crumbles that did it in. I'm considering making it tonight without it, and adding a little nooch - maybe that will make it better?

      I first had oat bran within the last year I'd say, when the Bob's Red Mill line was on sale. It's a nice change from oatmeal, texture wise. I'm about be oatmeal-overdosed. ;)

      Delete
  3. I agree with Maud, it does look great! Too bad it was just meh, though.

    Those salad rolls look so delicious. I could eat stuff like that every day. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying to find a way to make it work, but my suspicion is the soy crumbles. I don't eat them too often, and when in chili, they are so well hidden by the other flavors that I don't notice them much (so, next time I'll not put them in that either!).

      Once we leave the freezing temperatures, I am going to try my hand at rice paper spring rolls!

      Delete