Saturday, November 17, 2012

The Good Stuff

No need to make you wait - the "good stuff" I mentioned  on Thursday is an entire week off for Thanksgiving, followed by one teacher work week (meetings, planning, etc), followed by a five week vacation.  Roughly, I am finished teaching until January 8th.

What about the students?  They are participating in a series of internships in Art & Culture (everything from Picasso to tattoos), Business & Finance (create a business plan of your own desire), and Robotics (they will actually build a robot).  Field trips, portfolios, and attending lectures at local Universities.

What will I do?  Sleep, exercise, eat hot food from my kitchen, finish some of the projects I meant to do over the summer, play with Remy.

Yes, that is some good stuff.  ;)

Healthy. Happy. Life.'s Cinnamon Pumpkin Muffins
 A quick trip to Sprouts.
Baby red potatoes, spinach, kale, cauliflower
brussel sprouts, bananas, rolled oats, shallot
 Apparently, Sprouts is not friendly with Field Roast as they only had Tofurky.  I remember liking it last year,  so will have it again.  Fear not, I will find a Field Roast version during my free time.
 I caught up with a friend, and instead of our usual coffee spot, we met at Parsley.  Today I tried the Chai Tea Blueberry Smoothie.
We ended up going for a walk in the sunshine after enjoying our smoothies.

Late lunch of Carrot Ginger Soup with whole wheat sunflower bread.
Hour long massage.  My thanks to Groupon for making it affordable.

Dinner: avocado, Daiya shreds, shredded lettuce, and Cholula inside of white corn hard shells.

Wishing you a splendid evening, and a restorative Sunday!

11 comments:

  1. Ah, lucky you!!! It sounds like you're going to have a very relaxing holiday season. :)

    That's so awesome that you got an hour long massage. It's been years since I got one.

    We got the Gardein roast today after debating between that and the Field Roast one. We've had the Tofurky one a few times in the past and Mike really likes it. Me, I prefer the stuffing. Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Molly! I hope so, even though I'll have the usual family ridiculousness to deal with as well. :)

      A massage for a decent price is always worth it!

      I will make sure to try the other varieties at some point! I do love stuffing, perhaps I'll have to make a mini batch just for me. Ha!

      Delete
  2. Wow, that is some really good stuff! Should be a great time for you. Enjoy your vac.

    I have had the Tofurky roast before and enjoyed it, but I usually like to make my own additional stuffing as that to me is the focal point of the Thanksgiving meal. I have seen cholula, but never bought it. Is it kind of like Mexican sriracha?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rachel! Thank you, I do hope to make the most of it.

      Additional stuffing is always good - if you have a method or recipe that is best, please share!

      Cholula is one of the many options: Tapatio, Tabasco, Valentin. I just prefer the taste of Cholula the best!

      Delete
  3. Omg that is definitely good stuff! Great stuff even! ;) I'm so excited for you to have all of that time for yourself. It will be a great recharge for you and I can't wait to see all of your projects and cooking!

    As a side note, I'd like to say that I think it is really great that your students are doing those internships. I also think it's really cool that there is such freedom in choosing what they want to do. I wish we had that when I was in high school/middle school. Very cool!

    Nice looking haul and that chai tea blueberry smoothie looks and sounds so delicious, and even better that is was enjoyed with good company! The soup looks so velvety and tacos need to happen in my kitchen soon! Yum!

    Have a great Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarah! I am excited, too! I've never worked an "off-set" calendar before, I suppose I will decide how I really feel about it at the end of the school year. :) I already have the projects lined up - woo hoo!

      The internships are a way to provide students with hands-on experience, while gaining one semester credit (in four weeks, but they are still in class for seven hours a day). I agree - it would have been great to have when we were in school!

      I think Parsley has become my new obsession. I just have to limit it to once a week, due to its high prices!

      Thank you! I hope your weekend is going well!

      Delete
  4. Oh well, someone has to say it so it might as well be me: "Must be nice!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shen! Ha, ha! True! Technically, our staff "pre-paid" by reporting on July 26th, whereas the rest of the district teachers reported on August 20th. We will the same situation when I'm off in May - but won't finish school until June 27th (whereas the rest of the district will finish May 31st). We work the same amount of days as all other teachers, but signed a waiver acknowledging our vacation times will be different.

      Delete
  5. Now that is definitely some good stuff! Five weeks off - wow! I love the internships line up too - I'd be up for the robots and tattoos, definitely!

    I'm toying with a Tofurkey roast for Chrimbo. I've never had one, and they're quite expensive over there - are they good?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joey! The internships are something new, I'm hoping they go well. Students signed up for one focus area this time, and will do a different internship in May when it happens again!

      The Tofurky roast is the cheapest option at about $9. There is also a "complete meal" box that is more like $13. I've seen both the Gardein and Field Roast for $18 - $23.

      Delete