Monday, November 19, 2012

It's History

One of the projects I focused on today was taking stock, and organizing, my great-grandfather's photos from his time in France and Germany during WWI.
If this isn't your thing, skip the next four photos to see the food.
Written on the back:
"American airoplane brought down in no man's land near Haumont".  There are a few more pictures of "No Man's Land", lots of the villages, trenches, and a few of the soldiers.  Also, some postcards:
 On the back:
"Birds eye view of Kyllburg.  I've been up and down that (town? ravine?) several times.  The 89th Gen. Hq. are located here, note the large hills."

These pictures are from 1918 and 1919 - making them 93 or 94 years old!

I spent about an hour combing through his regiment's campaign, and will match up sections of the reading with the pictures tomorrow and Wednesday.  My goal is to be able to give it to my grandfather (these are his father's pictures) on Thanksgiving.

On to the food:  breakfast scramble
 I went a little fancy on it. Tofu, garlic powder, cumin, black pepper, Cholula, spinach, Tofutti Better Than Cream Cheese, and four thin slices of polenta - broken into pieces.

A friend of mine, who is also off this week, called me with a last minute invite to WaterCourse Foods for lunch.  I happily accepted, and ordered my usual:
Dona Lee Wrap with double greens and balsamic vinaigrette (quite possibly the best dressing in the world).

Dinner was based on an intense craving for the light and crunchy Asian Cabbage Salad from Whole Foods.  I also picked up the Autumn Kale Salad, which I actually ate for dinner yesterday.  It has red beets, pomegranate seeds, sweet potato, red onion and a poppyseed dressing.  Really good, as was the cabbage salad.
Also made today: Peanut Butter Cookies.
It has been a delicious and productive day! I hope to be the same tomorrow. . .

10 comments:

  1. Wow, what an amazing project Ingrid! Those pictures are so cool to see and I love the writing on the back. It is going to be such a special gift for your grandfather, I'm sure he is going to love it! Such a great project, thank you for sharing it with us!

    Great looking food! Love the fancypants scramble, it looks delicious! How great that you got to meet up with a friend for lunch and it looks very yummy as always :) Whole Foods salads always look so fresh and lovely and I love that. It's so reliable. Yummy looking cookies! delicious and productive indeed!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sarah! It's really interesting to go through them again - I've seen them a few times throughout my life - looking for the storyline, and filling in the gaps.

      I haven't purchased tofu in over two months (maybe longer!), so I figured it would need a strong showcasing. :) Whole Foods can always be counted on for good salads!

      Delete
  2. Yeah, that does sound like a great project. There seem to be a ton of images. I love looking at old photographs, especially of people.
    The scramble does sound delicious. Polenta is so great. Remind me again what is in the wrap?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Maud! There are about a dozen pictures of soldiers, otherwise it's mostly landscape, destroyed buildings, and intact towns.

      The main feature in the wrap is the herb crusted seitan. There is also some avocado, tomato, lettuce, and a vegan dressing.

      Delete
  3. Holy crap! that's amazing - you've got such history in your hands. Please post more on what you find out - whereabouts in France and Germany was he?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely feel like a museum curator with these photos. When I first brought them into my house about a year and a half ago, they had quite a smell! They are much better now.

      So far I am seeing pictures near Chateau Thierry and Chaumont in France. I'll let you know what I else I come across!

      Delete
  4. That's such an awesome project that you're doing. Your grandfather will love it! What a thoughtful gift.

    Yummy looking food day. I could go for a peanut butter cookie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think he knows that I have the pictures, but he may not know that I putting together "the story" of his father's campaign. Thank you!

      The cookies are so good! I have to keep them out of sight, and keep it to a maximum of two per day. Ha!

      Delete
  5. Looks like you almost have museum quality documents in your possession. Don't drip gravy on any of it.

    Glad you're accomplishing good things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Shen! No gravy in these parts as of yet. :)

      It took me long enough to get started, now I must finish it!

      Delete