Sunday, October 21, 2012

Snacky Sunday

Yesterday, I spent the day at the chiropractor, massage appointment, and a baby shower.  Luckily, I was able to also swing by my parents' house and pick up the dehydrator. This morning I put it to good use, making the cheesy kale chip recipe I like best.  Here's a shot of the trays prior to cooking:
Three hours later some finished, others were not.
A little over four hours from the start, and they were all finished! So good.  I snacked on the majority of them throughout the day.

While the kale chips were cooking, I went to a Farmer's Market hoping for inspiration for the week.
 Live bluegrass in the background.  In the foreground, two boys stand in front of a guy with a typewriter offering free poems.
 Squash and root vegetables dominated the scene, with a few tomatoes and greens here and there - but they were a little sad looking.
 Apparently, they were having a chili cook-off, but I didn't bother to see if they had any vegan friendly samples.  My only purchase was from the Green Giraffe Juice Truck.(above).

In addition to a mountain of kale chips, here's what else I ate today:
Pumpkin Raisin Crunch cereal with vanilla almond milk.
Green smoothie "Leanergizer" from the Green Giraffe.  I believe it was spinach, kale, lemon juice, green apple, and something else.  Way too expensive, but decent and just what I needed.
Lunch: Leftover sauce from the kale chips on tri-color pasta.
Dinner: oven roasted broccoli and potato.  Sprinkled with a little olive oil, garlic powder, sea salt, and black pepper.

Hoping you all had a fantastic weekend!

14 comments:

  1. The cheesy kale chips look wonderful! I make a cheesy kale chip, but I actually like the ingredients in the ones you make better. Mmm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love this recipe! I hope you do as well. :)

      Delete
  2. How great that you were able to pick up the dehydrator and play! Your kale chips look absolutely delicious AND how genius to use the sauce on pasta!! I love that! I'm all about not wasting any food, and you definitely put it to great use!

    The cereal looks so yummy! Nice and hearty, yum. The juice looks good, too bad it wasn't worth the money though. I still really want a juicer, I feel like I'd drink a lot of juice... although I also think it is just as expensive to juice at home because of the amount of produce you need? Not sure though. The Farmer's market looked great, what a pretty day! So cool about the poet too! Dinner looks yummy too, gotta love roasted potatoes and broccoli! Yum!

    Sounds like a busy but fun weekend! Hope your week goes quickly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My main issue with the dehydrator is that I'm impatient. :) I think you would like kale prepared as cheesy kale chips.

      I think you're right - if we consider the amount of produce needed to produce a juice, it might be that expensive. I was happy to get my greens, even if it was costly!

      Thank you, I hope your week goes quickly as well!

      Delete
  3. I have dehydrator envy! And kale chip envy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need a bigger kitchen, as I'd probably keep it otherwise! Kale chips are so good.

      Delete
  4. Yea for homemade (and more affordable) kale chips! They look as if they turned out well. It's too bad that the farmers' markets are getting sparser pickings these days, but I guess it's a sign of the season. The winter squash looks beautiful though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed - it's all about being affordable. I can't wait to make them again. I'm just not in the mood for squash, otherwise I would pick one up! There is only more market, so I probably will buy everything!

      Delete
  5. Great looking kale chips. I don't even know where my dehydrator is right now but I would never have the motivation to make them anyway, ha!
    The juice sounds really good too. I feel like I've really been slacking on my greens intake lately and that's such a good way to get them in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can imagine many of your possessions are hiding in boxes or in storage, yes? Any prospects on a permanent residence?

      Absolutely - that's why I was willing to fork over the big bucks. I knew I was lacking in greens.

      Delete
  6. While everyone is lusting after the Kale Chips, I'm lusting after the Pasta dish. That is my kind of food right there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pasta was good, but the kale chips were way better! I think you would love them!

      Delete
  7. NAAAAAAAAAAAAAAM! Those kale chips looks amazing. I never got to make a batch this weekend but hopefully next! I think it's the only thing I crave right now Ingrid. Nothing else is good enough! Haha! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Malin! I am craving them again, they were so good! I'm going to try and do it again this Sunday. I hope you are able to make some soon!

      Delete