Saturday, October 6, 2012

Cashew Cream Sauce

I have previously shared my inability to create meal recipes, but I do seem to have success in the "sauce" department.  For example: my potato kale salad from summer. Over the last couple of months, I've made variations of this cashew cream, and in different states of thickness.  Here are the basics:
 For a thinner version (I use this version mostly with pasta or spaghetti squash, or as a dressing in cabbage salad), soak one cup of raw cashews overnight in water.  I usually do this in the fridge.  When blending, use 1:1 cashews and water - as seen above.
 1 and a half tablespoons of nutritional yeast (more or less, depending on your preference for "cheesiness").
Dash of sea salt, fresh ground pepper, and whatever else you'd like (I've used Italian seasoning and garlic powder a lot.  This time, it was Penzey's Forward Spice). Blend, blend, blend until smooth.

For thicker versions (best as dips and spreads): simply decrease water at the beginning.  Start with a half cup, and add as needed.  When blending, you will have to stop and scrape the sides more often than when making a "saucey" version. Here's what a thicker version looks like:
This evening, I used the thinner cashew cream sauce to slather slices of oven roasted potatoes and golden beets. Yum!
I will be using the rest of the sauce on a spaghetti squash - which will be baked tomorrow!

Hope you're enjoying your Saturday!

17 comments:

  1. oh my gosh that sounds so decadent and delicious! YUMMMMMMMM!! Cashews seriously are the greatest. second only to macadamias:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you've made a cashew cream or two before, so you understand how delicious it truly is!

      Delete
  2. I love cashew cream and cheese! This is a great recipe and can be used in so many ways!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've not yet attempted a true cashew cheese, but I've seen it done on other blogs. I should try some ready made some time! Thanks.

      Delete
  3. I can't believe I only discovered how to make cashew crema this year. Mind you, since discovering it, I've been using it in pretty much everything, because it is truly gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is a great sauce or dip or whatever we create. I agree, absolutely wonderful!

      Delete
  4. We really have to get a high speed blender. We've tried making cashew cream twice now but were unsuccessful with the cruddy one we currently have. It looks SO good! Over potatoes would be especially yummy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sign me up for one, too! My blender is about six years old (or more?), and it's just your everyday glass blender from the store. I have to let the cashew mix go for at least two minutes to get everything smooth. Such a pain!

      Delete
  5. OMG YUM! You are always creating amazing sauces, I'm so glad you shared this with us! Cashew cream has such a decadent flavor and texture but you don't have to feel bad about eating it! I love how versatile it is but those potatoes are calling my name!! Lovely post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yum, indeed! I want to continue to experiment with the cashew cream flavors and consistencies. The beet and potato combo with the sauce was amazing! Thank you :)

      Delete
  6. I've found Cashew Cream to be too rich for me in the past, not to mention expensive, but maybe I'll try again. That is a really cute measuring spoon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see that, but it's all about spice combination. If you use raw cashews instead of dry roasted, the flavor tends to be a little more mild. Thank you, I think I purchased them at World Market.

      Delete
  7. I totally flagged this post (as opposed to partially flagging it?) so I can try this sauce. It's Only Natural (vegetarian restaurant) has cashew cheese, and I always ordered it instead of dairy cheese even before I went vegan. (Btw, dairy cheese is the only non-vegan thing on the menu there.) It's that good. I bet cashew cream sauce is really good on pasta too!

    I like the way you cooked the beets. I usually boil mine, but they look really good roasted. Did you have to peel them or did you just leave the skin on?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to try actual cashew cheese. Feel free to play with the seasonings! The thicker version seen above doesn't have any nooch in it, and it's cheezy in its own very good way. Let me know how it goes!

      I painstakingly peeled prior to oven roasting. I used my Misto (filled with olive oil) to spritz on a little oil before baking. I had to peel the whole bunch anyway for the soup.

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Thanks, Malin! I enjoy cashews, too! :)

      Delete
  9. Cream sauce for spaghetti squash - something I have NOT tried. But will.

    ReplyDelete