Monday, September 24, 2012

The Method

The uphill climb to adding full workouts back into my day is slowly resuming.  I've had to set some reasonable goals for myself, and try not to get discouraged when I'm not perfectly on plan.  My current goal includes a progression of activity intensity six days a week (starting at 30 minutes and slowly increasing) - everything from walking to jogging to HIIT workouts.  Today, all I could put in was a long walk with Remy, but we both loved it; it was a cooler part of the day and he was able to spend a little time off leash at a lush park.  Which, by the way, had kale growing in its flower beds.  I will take a picture next time we're there to show you. . .

Good eats today:

Pumpkin Banana Muffin, one peach and a handful of blueberries.
Golden Beets and Arugula Salad (picked up yesterday at Whole Foods - some kind of citrus dressing), dry roasted cauliflower.
Snack size bag of Kettle Corn, provided by a co-worker.

Also picked up yesterday:
Hatch chile (hot!) guacamole.  I knew it needed to be sampled before dinner, so a few water crackers tested it out. ;)
Inspired by Shen's Boca Burgers, I cooked one up and decided to  hide the flavor load it up with a few pieces of Daiya, tomato slices and Hatch-a-mole.  Healthy sides to round out the meal.  Good choice, all the way around.

After cooking for an hour in the oven, I pulled out the spaghetti squash.  It is so soft, it almost fell out of my oven mitt.  I also whipped up some cashew cream, so I'll be marrying the two in a short ceremony before putting together a lunch container for tomorrow.  Have a great night!

18 comments:

  1. Yum, looks like a great day of eating and yay for the exercise! Sounds like an awesome plan, good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mary! I hope the good eating and great exercise continues.

      Delete
  2. aw, i love long walks. i bet your pup just loved it! and what delicious eats! love that muffin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pumpkin muffins are the bee's knees.

      Delete
  3. I love your exercise plan. It is realistic and totally achievable and I know you will be successful! I like the varying intensities too, it'll definitely keep your body guessing which is a great strategy when working out :) Definitely keep us posted with your progress!

    Great looking meals! Breakfast looks delicious, I love the muffin/fruit combo. It's a perfect balance of summer and fall too :) You are seriously making me crave roasted cauliflower and popcorn is def one of my favorite snacks. I laughed so hard at your scratched out text, lol! Guac on a burger sounds so good, but I'd probably eat a shoe covered in guac. A vegan shoe, obviously ;) Let me know if you need a photographer for the wedding ceremony ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sarah! I hope it continues to be a doable plan, as I need it! I will absolutely post updates concerning workouts.

      You're right - it's a great combo of the two seasons! Cauliflower and popcorn are always good! Ha! Glad you liked the not-so-subtle comment concerning the bad taste of Boca Burgers. Guacamole makes everything better, ha ha! I missed this comment until after the ceremony, but there will be a vow renewal at some point - we'll hire you then. ;)

      Delete
  4. Your pictures of food for the day look tasty! Even as I read this before bed, it is making me hungry! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amanda! Thank you, I aim to please!

      Delete
  5. Good job getting back on the workout train. That is so great.

    The fruit picture steals the show; it's such a gorgeous color combination. I like Boca burgers, but the pale color of some of them is a bit unappetizing so I totally understand covering them up with condiments, especially guacamole.

    I hope you enjoy the spaghetti squash!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the tip on spaghetti squash! I ended up cooking the entire thing at 375 for an hour, and it was like cutting a cucumber - so easy!

      I thoroughly enjoyed the Boca Burger, but only when smothered. :)

      Delete
  6. Everything here sounds perfect. The peach and blueberries are so vibrant and fresh looking but the golden beets, arugula, and cauliflower sound so amazing! Those colors are great as well.
    Can't freaking wait to see/hear about the squash and cream. Awesome idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made enough cashew cream spaghetti squash (with greens added too) for two days, so you'll see it in tomorrow's post! It is super delicious.

      I like beets, but haven't figured out how to prepare them - so this was a good way to get some into my diet! I agree, good colors yesterday!

      Delete
  7. Whenever I read your posts, I get Whole Foods envy - they never have anything half as nice looking as that golden beet salad in the one in London. Or, for that matter, that cauliflower. I love cauliflower - is that wrong?! And guac. But who doens't love guac?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you posted what's in the London Whole Foods? I would LOVE to see it (hint, hint). :)

      Delete
  8. Hatch makes Guac?! That's news to me.

    Don't know how you only eat one Burger or one Dog. Especially with Guac & Tomato. Betcha couldn't taste the Daiya though;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hatch chilies from Hatch, New Mexico. Several caravans filled with roasting wheels (pins? spit? I don't know what they are called) arrival late summer and into fall each year. You can buy them straight from the farmer. This year, I haven't - but having them in a guacamole really takes up the heat.

      I don't remember if I tasted the Daiya or not. . .good point!

      Delete
  9. Spicy guac sounds like something I'd love!

    The peach & blueberries together look so pretty. There's something about fruit that just makes gorgeous photos, especially when two different colors are paired.

    That's great that you got to take a long walk with Remy! One of my favorite ways to exercise. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spicy guac is great! The chunks of avocado act as a built in cooling agent. Yum.

      It is my favorite photo, too! I was on the back porch, around 6:30am and had to keep the back porch light on - as I didn't have enough natural light. Sadly, it's only going to get darker from now on.

      Delete