Monday, August 6, 2012

Seeking: Hope

I'm mad at myself for not getting a workout in this morning, even a walk would've been good.  Definitely learned my lesson, as we are still battling through near 100 degree heat every single day this week, I need to get my activity in early.

At least breakfast was delicious:  fresh peach, frozen banana, fresh spinach, vanilla almond milk.
 The "grumpies" (a.k.a. my attitude) continued as I went to my new school, and (along with my colleagues) was overwhelmed at the physical state of the building.  File cabinet-old desk-chair mountains in the hallways and classrooms.  Stuff that required a dolly to move, not humans  (which we don't have).  It is an historic, beautiful building - but dirty, dusty, and close to 100 degrees inside (and still dealing with construction projects).  We had a three hour meeting, followed by an inventory of the massive tasks ahead.  I left completely soaked with sweat (sorry - TMI).

For lunch: remaining Sweet and Spicy Cucumber salad, and. . .
 Field Roast Frank, on whole wheat - ketchup and yellow mustard.
In the afternoon, I made Cheezy Kale Chips, ate way too many, and couldn't get a decent picture to turn out. *Grumble, grumble*

Dinner: Avocado-Farmer's Market-Succotash (minus beans, which usually appear in a succotash).
The only items not from the Farmer's Market were the avocado and sea salt.  Everything else was: red onion, tomato, corn, potatoes.  Mixed up the first four items mentioned while I boiled the corn and potatoes.  I cut the corn off the cob, and along with the potatoes, added them to the mix.

Sarah has tagged me in the Hope 2012 Blog Relay.  As you can tell from my "grumpy" day, this is an appropriate topic.  To me, hope means opportunity.  An opportunity to change, to grow, to better one's station in life.  If you are hopeless, you are stuck, immobile, desperate.  I (you) always have the opportunity to go/do/be somewhere or someone else. Happiness, a better job, running a half marathon is all possible!  Do you "hope" to accomplish ___________ by ______?  You have hope about it, now give yourself the opportunity to make it happen.

I was kind of speaking to myself there at the end, but perhaps something resonated with you as well.  Everyone who I would have tagged, has been tagged!  But if you haven't commented before, but have landed on my blog a few times - consider yourself tagged. ;)

To everyone else, thank you for reading!

14 comments:

  1. I love that, Ingrid. Hope is opportunity:) so true. And what a delicious succotash! yummm - with the avocado!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your kindess, Caralyn.

    I really should incorporate more succotash into my life! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for participating in HOPE 2012! I find that searching for hope is particularly difficult—and particularly beneficial—on our grumpy days. So thanks for taking the baton!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My thanks to you for getting the movement started, and to Sarah at Thisiswhatieatvegan.com for including me! It was a great experience thinking and writing on it. :)

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. I'm not a big bean eater (other than hummus - the more chickpeas, the better), so avocado is now my "go to" replacement in the 'tash.

      Delete
  5. Aww I'm sorry that you didn't have a great day. It seems like the topic was indeed mood appropriate in this case! It is so easy to let ourselves fall into a funk but I know you'll be ok :) Your words on hope are so true. We control our own destiny. Very lovely words Ingrid, I'm so glad that you participated!

    The food looks amazing as always. That succotash looks amazing and I think I would definitely be into the avocado addition :) The smoothie sounds really delicious and that cucumber salad still looks lovely and refreshing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A little teacher speak: if I did a root cause analysis, it would show that heat is the primary source of my discomfort. Unfortunately, I'll have to deal with it, as it's not going to change! *sigh*

      Thank you for including me! It was a good experience ruminating and writing on the subject of hope.

      You probably know that an avocado happened due to your influence! ;) It did make the dish much better.

      Delete
  6. I've had these types of days and I certainly don't blame you for being grumpy! Dealing with that heat would get to me, too, especially in a dusty old building.

    I'm assuming you're a teacher? Both of my parents were educators (I was the principal's daughter in high school, such fun). :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not do well in heat. I wish we had the money to outfit old buildings with at least a swamp cooler, but that's not happening - so, I'm forced to get over it!

      Yes, I am! I taught 7th grade for seven years, and just left to start a college prep school (in the same district, but not a charter), and will be teaching 9th. I'm sure you felt under the microscope almost daily!

      Delete
  7. Sounds like a challenging workday that you handled pretty well. The high temperatures bring out my grumpies too.

    That succotash looks so good. I don't really know how to cut corn off the cob so I just use frozen corn when a recipe calls for corn kernels. I just KNOW fresh corn kernels must be so much better though. Maybe you could do a tutorial in a blog post - ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was pretty whiny, but I'll work on it. ;)

      It's super easy, just need a sharp knife and a steady hand! Will keep a tutorial in mind.

      Delete
  8. i couldnt handle that heat too. hope it cools down soon. that.. hope:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Richa! I've contemplated moving north, but I'd have to convince my friends and family to go, too! ;)

      Delete