Thursday, August 16, 2012

Mean and Green

The day started off with a trip to the doctor for routine blood work.  As they had asked me to fast, I was only drinking water in the morning.  Apparently, it was not enough water - two different nurses and multiple pokes in arms and top of hands later - they couldn't get a steady vein.  $45 dollar co-pay, no blood drawn to show for it, and a bruised hand.  I know I have small veins, do any of you have this problem?

Activity: six trips up two and a half flights of stairs carrying boxes, and a two mile walk with Remy this evening.

Food:  Started with a spinach, arugula, frozen banana, frozen pineapple, two dates, water.
Lunch: a co-worker friend mentioned she wanted to try Civic Center Eats (which I went to in June).  I knew that the Vegan Van would be there, so I was definitely interested.
 Click on the picture to read today's menu.  I had the Rock Steady salad and added sietan.  She suggested tossing it in spicy wing sauce, naturally I agreed.  I'm so sad I couldn't finish it (no boxes and no fridge at work - yet).  That's a black iced coffee to the right, and my owl bag to the back.
Dinner didn't have any green to it, but it was "green" as I used local produce to make it happen.  Frankfurter Succotash:  corn, tomato, potato (Farmer's Market), nooch, Field Roast Frank.
Even though the day had a dark cloud of frustration at my body's lack of cooperation and the nurses incompetency, my meals were pretty great.

8 comments:

  1. oooh a vegan food truck! how cool! There's one in NY, but haven't been able to check it out yet....that'll be something to look forward to when I get back:) It looks like you had a great meal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE this vegan van. Granted I've only ever had two different dishes multiple times, but it's always tasty. I hope you're able to try it soon!

      Delete
  2. Oooh yay for the vegan van! That salad looks amazing! I also seriously love your owl bag... even the corner of it ;) The succotash looks yummy too, you can't beat fresh corn in the summer. Your green smoothie looks nice and frosty and it sounds like a great combination :)

    I'm sorry about the frustration with the doctor and giving blood. Giving blood sucks, the last time I went they took like 8 vials of it, I was like hey can you leave some for me?! Lol! My arm is starting to ache in sympathy. I have a huge vein in my arm that looks disgusting but is helpful in that situation I suppose. Hopefully the next time you'll have a more competent nurse and a more successful outcome!

    Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The salad was so good! I briefly considered just letting it sit out all day, just so I could finish it later. . .then, I realized that would be a bad idea. ;)

      I'm glad I went to therapy yesterday, so I could talk it out. I realized that it wasn't my fault, but somehow made it my fault anyway. I meant to call them to either reschedule (for free) or get a refund today, but I was so busy! I hope to make it a top priority on Monday (you know, other than the whole "first day of school" thing). :)

      Thank you for your kind thoughts!

      Delete
  3. One day I am gonna hit up that Vegan Van.

    In sympathy, last time I had blood taken (wanted a lyme disease/ thyroid check), they finally had to put this hot pack on my arm to try to get the veins up. I didn't like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe you - it will happen!

      A hot pack?! It sounds scary! A thyroid check would've have been included in my blood draw, had it actually worked.

      Delete
  4. Yuck, getting all poked and bruised for nothing is a real drag. And $45 sounds like a high co-pay to me.

    Yummy looking food, especially that lunch. Yea for the vegan food van! 100% vegan and awesome indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a high co-pay, I don't fully understand it. I am going to call on Monday, and ask about a refund - considering the services weren't fully rendered. I'm nervous about it, so send some good vibes!

      The Vegan Van is a real treat, it'll be harder for me to track her down during the school year!

      Delete